Dr. Daniel E. Martínez-Tong
Donostia International Physics Center (DIPC).
Paseo Manuel Lardizabal 4, 20018 Donostia, Spain.
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Scientist with 7+ years international experience in academia and research. Expert in providing laterally-resolved physical characterization using Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM), in combintacion with structural information by X-ray Scattering and molecular dynamics by Broadband Dielectric Spectroscopy (BDS).Solid background on the preparation and characterization of nanostructured materials: thin films, nanoparticles and composites. My ultimate goal is to look towards the use of basic research for building a solid backbone that can be firmly applied in the development of future technologies.
Teacher at the Universidad Simón Bolívar (USB) in Caracas, Venezuela. Academic load: 2 terms teaching Elementary Physics (144 academic hours), 1 term teaching Physics Lab (72 academic hours) and 1 summer course teaching elementary physics (72 academic hours).
Collaborator in Scientific Divulgation programs, such as “Semana de la Ciencia” in Spain, as well as the monthly guided visits by the Donostia International Physics Center at the Materials Physics Center for high school and undergraduate students. Collaborator at the “Curso de iniciación a la investigación” of the Instituto de Estructura de la Materia in Madrid, Spain, where undergraduate students have a first contact with the research institution.
Teacher’s assistant at elementary physics courses taught to science students (physics, chemistry and biology majors), during 2 years at the Universidad del Zulia (Maracaibo, Venezuela).
Expert in the study of laterally-resoleved quantitative physical properties by Atomic Force Microscopy (AFM): Piezoresponse Force Microscopy (PFM), Conductive AFM (C-AFM), Electrostatic Force Microscopy (EFM), Kelvin Probe Force Microscopy (KPFM), mechanical properties by AFM (PeakForce Tapping and QNM). Developer of the AFM-based technique nanoDielectric Spectroscopy (nDS).
Strong experties in the preparation and physical properties of polymers and soft low molecular weight materials in confinement: nanoparticles, and thin films. Experience in working with advanced materials for polymer-based technologies: biocompatible polymers, conducting & semiconducting polymers, and ferroelectric polymers.
High expertise in analysis techniques: Broadband Dielectric Spectroscopy (BDS), Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC), X-ray Scattering at Small and Wide Angles (SAXS, WAXS/sXRD). Entry-level experience in grazing incidence scattering techniques and synchrotron facilities.
Solid experience in surface structuring of polymers by Nanoimprint Lithography (NIL) and Laser induced periodic surface structures (LIPSS). Collaborator in the development of polymer coatings by Pulsed Laser Deposition (PLD), as well as in the surface structuring of organic and inorganic materials by laser ablation.
Computational skills: Molecular Dynamics. Entry-level programming in FORTRAN, C, R and Python. High-level in scientific software packages such as Origin, SigmaPlot and Matlab.
2012 – 2014. PhD in Physics
Universidad Complutense de Madrid. Madrid, Spain.
GPA: Outstanding – Cum Laude
2010 – 2012. Masters in Applied Physics
Universidad Complutense de Madrid. Madrid, Spain
GPA: 9.1/10.0. **Masters thesis was graded as Outstanding with honors.**
2009 – 2010. Diploma: Teaching skills.
La Universidad del Zulia. Maracaibo, Venezuela.
2004 – 2009. Bachelor’s degree in Physics
La Universidad del Zulia. Maracaibo, Venezuela
- Part of the Dean’s List in 4 years.
- First of the class 2009.
- Highest GPA award (2009).
Selected papers (Full list here)
D. E. Martínez-Tong*, L. A. Miccio, A. Alegria. Ionic transport in the amorphous phase of semicrystalline polyethylene oxide thin films. Soft Matter. Vol. 13, 5597-5503. 2017.
D. E. Martínez-Tong, M. Sanz, T. A. Ezquerra, A. Nogales, J. F. Marco, M. Castillejo, E. Rebollar. Formation of polymer nanoparticles by UV pulsed laser ablation of poly (bisphenol A carbonate) in liquid environment. Applied Surface Science. Vol. 418 (Part B), 522-529. 2017.
D. E. Martínez-Tong, C. Ruzié, Y. H. Geerts, M. Sferrazza. Structural evolution of an organic semiconducting molecule onto a soft substrate. ChemPhysChem. Vol. 17 (8), 1174-1179. 2016.
D. E. Martínez-Tong, A. Rodríguez-Rodríguez, A. Nogales, M-C García-Gutiérrez, F. Pérez-Murano, J. Llobet, T. A. Ezquerra, E. Rebollar. Laser Fabrication of Polymer Ferroelectric Nanostructures for Non-volatile Organic Memory Devices. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. Vol 7 (35), 19611 – 19618. 2015.
J. Spièce, D. E. Martínez-Tong, M. Sferrazza, A. Nogales, S. Napolitano. Are polymers glassier upon confinement? Soft Matter. Vol 11 (31), 6165 – 6344. 2015. Front Cover of this issue is an AFM image taken and processed byDaniel E. Martínez-Tong.
D. E. Martínez-Tong, A. S. Najar, M. Soccio, A. Nogales, N. Bitinis, M. A. López-Manchado, T. A. Ezquerra. Quantitative Mapping of Mechanical Properties in Polylactic Acid/Natural Rubber/Organoclay Bionanocomposites as Revealed by Nanoindentation with Atomic Force Microscopy. Composites Science and Technology. 104. 34-39. 2014.
D. E. Martínez-Tong, B. Vanroy, M. Wübbenhorst, A. Nogales, S. Napolitano. Crystallization of poly(L-lactide) confined in ultrathin films: Competition between finite size effects and irreversible chain adsorption. Macromolecules. 47 (7). 2354-2360. 2014
D. E. Martínez-Tong, M. Soccio, A. Sanz, C. García, T. A. Ezquerra, A. Nogales. Chain arrangement and glass transition temperature variations in polymer nanoparticles under 3D-confinement. Macromolecules. Vol 46 (11). 4698-4705. 2013.
D. E. Martínez-Tong, M. Soccio, M. C. García-Gutiérrez, A. Nogales, D. R. Rueda, N. Alayo, F. Pérez-Murano, T. A. Ezquerra. Improving information density in ferroelectric polymer films by using nanoimprinted gratings. Applied Physics Letters. Vol 102 (19). 191601. 2013
A. Nogales and D. E. Martínez-Tong. Crystallization in Nanoparticles, full chapter included in the Book: Controlling the morphology of Polymers, edited by G. R. Mitchell and A. Tojeira. Springer, 2016. ISBN: 978-3-319-39322-3
D. E. Martínez-Tong, A. Sanz, J. Martín, T. A. Ezquerra, A. Nogales. Non-equilibrium Structure Affects Ferroelectric Behavior of Confined Polymers, full chapter included in the Book: Non-equilibrium Phenomena in Confined Soft Matter, edited by S. Napolitano. Springer, 2015. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-21948-6_8
J. Spièce, D. E. Martínez-Tong, S. Napolitano. The thinner, the glassier. 2015. Available in: http://atlasofscience.org/the-thinner-the-glassier
Professional Experience, internships and residences
2016 – present
Donostia International Physics Center (DIPC) & Materials Physics Center (MPC-CFM).
Promoter: Prof. Angel Alegría (email@example.com)
Project: Local Dielectric Spectroscopy by AFM.
– Study of relaxation processes of dielectric materials at the nanoscale and development of the AFM-based technique “nanoDielectric Spectroscopy (nDS)”.
– Topographical, electrical and mechanical characterization of polymers in thin films, nanospheres and bulk by several AFM techniques.
– Collaborator in the development of a synthesis route for PEDOT:PSS using Single Chain Polymer Nanoparticles.
– Establishment of a collaboration with Dr. Michelina Soccio at the Università di Bologna for the molecular dynamics study of the novel polymer “Poly(2,5 butylene furanoate) (PBF)”.
– Collaborator in the monthly scientific divulgation program of the DIPC.
2014 – 2015.
Université libre de Bruxelles (ULB).
Promoter: Dr. Michele Sferazza (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Project: Semiconducting organic molecules in thin films and nanocrystals.
– Structural characterization by X-ray diffraction and AFM, of three different compunds in thin film geometries.
– Establishment of collaborations with Dr. G. Gbabode at the Université of Rouen for the development of crystalline growth models.
2010 – 2014.
Instituto de Estructura de la Materia
Supervisor: Dr. Aurora Nogales (email@example.com)
Project: Polymers in confinement.
– Preparation of polymer nanostructures by physico-chemical methods, including 4 different protocols for polymer nanoparticles.
– Study of physical properties in confinement and possible applications of nanostructured polymers.
– Surface pattering by laser techniques.
– Responsible for the development and application of nanoscale AFM measurements for the determination of physical properties in soft matter systems.
**CSIC “JAE-Pre” 4 year scholarship for PhD Students**
Université Libre de Bruxelles.
Supervisor: Dr. Simone Napolitano (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Project: Relaxation of poly(L-lactic) acid in thin films by BDS.
LabD – Solid State Physics group. Universidad Simón Bolívar. Caracas, Venezuela. 1 year.
Supervisor: Dr. Estrella Laredo. (email@example.com)
Project: Conductivity of biopolymer + carbon nanotubes composites.
Universidad Simón Bolívar.
Caracas, Venezuela. 1 year.
Supervisor: Prof. Douglas Mundaraín (firstname.lastname@example.org).
3 trimestral courses and 1 summer course were assigned. Subjects were focused on elementary physics for science and engineer students. Both theoretical and laboratory classes were taught.
2008 – 2009.
Centro de Modelado Científico. La Universidad del Zulia.
Supervisor: Prof. Carlo Guerrero (email@example.com).
Project: Molecular dynamics simulations of carbon nanostructures.
2008 – 2009.
La Universidad del Zulia. Maracaibo, Venezuela. (2 years).
Teacher’s assistant at elementary physics courses taught to science students (physics, chemistry and biology majors).
Universidad Autónoma de Madrid. (1 month)
Supervisor: Dr. Pedro García-Mochales Caro (firstname.lastname@example.org).Project: Development of a molecular dynamics computational code, able to perform tasks using several cores in a single CPU.
Centro de Modelado Cientifico. La Universidad del Zulia. Maracaibo, Venezuela
Supervisor: Prof. Jeanette Stock (email@example.com)
Project: Computational analysis of lightning phenomena at the Maracaibo’s lake basin.
Participation in Scientific Projects
Title: Nanoestructuración de polímeros y sistemas híbridos: Una vía sinérgica hacia la multifuncionalidad.
Funding agency: Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad. Spain
Dates: 01/02/2013 – 24/10/2014
P.I.: Dr. Mari Cruz García Gutiérrez (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Spanish (Mother Tongue).
Communications to scientific meetings and conferences
- 2017 – Ionic transport of polymer electrolyte thin-films by nanoDielectric Spectroscopy. Surfaces and Interfaces Summer School. Donostia – Spain, 20-23 June, (Oral contribution)
- 2017 -nanoDielectric Spectroscopy as a tool for the characterization of polymer electrolytes. E-MRS Spring meeting 2017. Strasbourg – France, 22-26 May. (Oral contribution)
- 2016 – Exploring interfacial polarization phenomena in semicrystalline polymer thin films: from local to bulk dielectric measurements. 9th International Conference on BROADBAND DIELECTRIC SPECTROSCOPY AND ITS APPLICATIONS. (Oral contribution)
- 2016 – Dielectric spectroscopy on nanostructured polymer thin films: macroscopic vs AFM based methods. SoftComp Annual Meeting 2016. (Oral contribution)
- 2015 – Piezoelectric Force Microscopy in P(VDF-TrFE) Nanoparticles Embedded in Continuous P3HT Thin Films. 1st French-Spanish Joint Congress for Young Researchers in Polymers. Donostia-San Sebastián, Spain.
- 2015 – A characterization of poly (L-lactide) thin films via AFM, ellipsometry and X-ray Scattering. 6th conference on Synchrotron Radiation in Polymer Science (SRPS). Madrid, Spain.
- 2015 – Crystallinity in poly (3-hexyl thiophene) nanoparticles. 6th conference on Synchrotron Radiation in Polymer Science (SRPS). Madrid, Spain.
- Competition between phase separation and structure confinement in P3HT/PCDTBT heterojunctions: Influence on nanoscale charge transport. 6th conference on Synchrotron Radiation in Polymer Science (SRPS). Madrid, Spain.
- 2015 – Simultaneous laser induced periodic nanostructuring and diffraction-assisted micropatterning of thin polymer films. The 13th Conference on Laser Ablation (COLA-2015) Cairns, Australia.
- 2015 – Formation of Polymer Nanoparticles by UV Pulsed Laser Ablation of Poly(bisphenol A carbonate) in Liquid Environment. Conference of Laser and Electro-Optics (CLEO). San Jose, CA, USA.
- 2015 – Laser fabrication of polymer ferroelectric nanostructures for non-volatile organic memory devices. E-MRS Spring Meeting, Lille, France.
- 2015 – Improving information density in ferroelectric polymer films by using nanoimprinted gratings. APS March Meeting. San Antonio, TX, USA.
- 2015 – Competition between phase separation and structure confinement in all polymer heterojunctions: Influence on charge transport. EMN Meeting on Polymer (Energy Materials Nanotechnology). Orlando, FL, USA.
- 2014 – Point-by-point mechanical information on polymer blends. Workshop in AFM microscopy organized by Bruker/Telstar and CSIC. Madrid, Spain.
- 2014 – Nanostructured Ferroelectric Polymers. Implications on ferroelectricity and relaxation. 8th International Conference on Broadband Dielectric Spectroscopy and its Applications & 14th Conference on Dielectric and Related Phenomena. Wisla, Poland.
- 2014 – Broadband Dielectric Relaxation of P(VDF-TrFE) Ferroelectric Nanoparticles. 8th International Conference on Broadband Dielectric Spectroscopy and its Applications & 14th Conference on Dielectric and Related Phenomena. Wisla, Poland. Award for an outstanding poster presentation.
- 2014 – Analysis of the conductivity of conjugated polymer/fullerene based blends by dielectric spectroscopy. 8th International Conference on Broadband Dielectric Spectroscopy and its Applications & 14th Conference on Dielectric and Related Phenomena. Wisla, Poland.
- 2014 – Nanoscale structure-property relationships in all-polymer heterojunctions. 10th International Conference on Organic Electronics. Modena, Italy.
- 2014 – Aluminum metal versus aluminum oxide fabricated by nanosecond pulsed laser deposition. European Materials research Society (E-MRS) 2014 Spring Meeting. Lille, France.
- 2014 – Chain configurations, glass transition and polymer dynamics in polymer nanoparticles under 3-D confinement. APS March Meeting 2014. Denver, USA.
- 2013 – Assessment of Replica Quality in Polymer Gratings Fabricated by Nanoimprint Lithography by means of Grazing Incidence Small Angle X-ray Scattering. 12th International Conference on Nanoimprint and Nanoprint Technology. Barcelona, Spain.
- 2013 – Improving Control on Information Storage in Ferroelectric Polymer Films by using Nanoimprint Lithography. 12th International Conference on Nanoimprint and Nanoprint Technology. Barcelona, Spain.
- 2013 – Chain arrangement and glass transition temperature variations in polymer nanoparticles under 3D-confinement. 7th International Discussion Meeting on Relaxation in Complex Systems. Barcelona, Spain.
- 2013 – Crystallization of PLLA confined in ultrathin films, competition of finite size effects and irreversible chain adsorption (Oral contribution). 7th International Discussion Meeting on Relaxation in Complex Systems. Barcelona, Spain.
- 2013 – Chain arrangement and glass transition temperature variations in polymer nanoparticles under 3D-confinement. European Polymer Congress. Pisa, Italy.
- 2012 – Towards homogeneous dynamics in incompatible blends by selective transesterification. 7th Conference of the International Dielectric Society & 13th Conference on Dielectric & Related Phenomena
- 2009 – Estudio de Potenciales para Dinámica Molecular de Nanoestructuras de Carbono: Nueva propuesta para la combinación de potenciales. VII Congreso de la Sociedad Venezolana de Física. Caracas, Venezuela.
- 2009 – Fabricación de nanodiodos basados en una estructura metal-semiconductor con contactos metálicos obtenidos mediante litografía por haz de electrones. VII Congreso de la Sociedad Venezolana de Física. Caracas, Venezuela.
Other works and collaborations
Present – Part of the Sociedad Venezolana de Física (SVF) committee. (2 years)
2016 – Collaborator at the Semana de la Ciencia” divulgation program. Donostia, Spain.
2015 – Part of the local organizing committee of the 6th conference on Synchrotron Radiation in Polymer Science (SRPS). Madrid, Spain.
2013 and 2014 – Collaborator in the program by the Comunidad Autónoma de Madrid, linking high school students and industries. Madrid, Spain.
2012, 2013 and 2014 – Collaborator at the “Curso de iniciación a la investigación” scientific divulgation workshop for university students, held at the Instituto de Estructura de la Materia. Madrid, Spain.
2011 – Collaborator at the “Semana de la Ciencia” divulgation program. Madrid, Spain.
2009 – Collaboration in the layout and design of the art exhibition “El universo para que lo descubras”, held at the Centro de Arte de Maracaibo Lía Bermudez museum. Maracaibo, Venezuela.
2004 – Part of logistics commission of the VII Congreso Venezolano de Fruticultura meeting. Maracaibo, Venezuela.